Air conditioning service companies provide installation and maintenance and repair of air conditioners; maintenance is done 3 to 6 times a year due to water leakage, bacteria, mould and fungus.
There are two types of cleaning: regular and chemical. The regular cleaning involves surface level cleaning of filters, checking of compressor suction and vacuuming of the drainage system. Chemical cleaning is a lot more complicated, involving the dismantling of the entire system for wash and maintenance, including the electrical wiring, circuit board as well as the refrigerant piping.
Both services include overall testing of the air-conditioning system for functionality. In addition to cleaning, air-conditioning services can be installation or repair of air-conditioners.
Services and Specialisation
- Regular cleaning
- Chemical cleaning
Main price factors
- Complexity of air conditioners – large centralized units may be more extensive and require more effort to maintain
- Quality and speed of the maintenance and repair – type of cleaning
Expected Price Range When Hiring An Air-Conditioning Service Company
Pricing is usually determined on a per-unit basis and also cheaper if a longer-term contract is established with fixed intervals checks/cleaning.
– For a one-time regular cleaning: $23 – $50/unit (depending on the number of units)
– For a one-time chemical cleaning: $250/unit – $275/unit (9,000 – 24,000 BTU capacity)
– For a basic air-conditioner check: ~$22
Tips, tricks and challenges
- Always try to do half yearly checks, servicing professionals can look out for potential problems early and solve them before they become costlier issues
- You can also clean the fan coils yourself just with a vacuum cleaner to reduce the number of required professional cleanings.
- Plan for servicing schedule on off peak periods, especially for centralized systems. When under maintenance, heat will be a major issue
Advice from other buyer(s)
- You need to know what kind of servicing you require – normal or chemical. For normal, just clear the dust, but for chemical you need to clean the coil and top up the gas. Find someone who has experience and is honest. You can ask around for recommendations. Advisable to get 3 to 5 quotes to compare so you can understand what they offer. – (Chua Chong Teck, electrical project manager)